Relay Hawaii Equipment Program (RHEP)
What is RHEP?
Relay Hawaii Equipment Program (RHEP) provides equal access to all of Relay Hawaii’s services. RHEP provides specialized equipment to the deaf, hard of hearing or speech-disabled individuals who are unable to use a standard or amplified telephone at no cost.
Training and equipment Installation is provided at no charge. Demonstration can be given at the RHEP’s office, workshops,
conferences, and meetings at no charge.
What Type of Equipment is Available?
- Ultratec Miniprint 425 (TTY)
- Dialogue Voice Carry-Over (VCO) Phone
- Ultratec Uniphone 1140 (Hearing Carry-Over (HCO) phone)
- Ameriphone Dialogue XL-25s (Speech-to-Speech)
- CapTel® 800 (Captioned telephone)
- Wireless device (BlackBerry®, Samsung or other phones as available through the Sprint Relay Store)
- D-Link and router (Video Relay phone for accessing Video Relay Service)
Who is eligible for the RHEP program?
To qualify for this program, you must:
- Be a Hawai'i state resident or kama'aina
- Have a hearing loss of 75 decibels (dB) or greater as certified by a doctor or audiologist's report OR
- Have a communication disorder which severely interferes with communicating effectively over the phone, as certified by a physician or speech-language pathologist
- Be responsible for maintaining your own phone service (local landline, high-speed Internet or wireless)
- Qualify for (pass a credit check) and enter into a 2-year contract for wireless service (wireless handheld device only)
- Complete an application form
How do I apply for the RHEP program?
Simply fill out the RHEP application (click here). Your application and supporting documents will be reviewed and input into a database system. New equipment will be sent directly to you via FedEx or UPS.
To request an application:
If you are interested in filling out the application form in person, you must contact RHEP staff to make an appointment and need to provide the following information:
- Driver's license or State ID
- Proof of disability
- Social Security Number (SSN) and others
For more information, contact RHEP, click here.
For more information:
- RHEP Guidelines, click here
- Download application forms, click here
- Contact information, click here